Have you considered pursuing Google Analytics certification? Google offers an Analytics Individual Qualification (IQ) test that certifies online marketing professionals as expert users. This qualification ultimately separates advanced users from analytics beginners. Google even offers a free curriculum to help test-takers prepare.
Why Take The Google Analytics IQ (GAIQ) Test?
As a freelancer or smaller agency, this certification will lend greater credibility to your services and sales pitch. By following along with the free curriculum and other resources, small business owners doing in-house marketing can advance their working knowledge of Google Analytics.
What is The GAIQ Test Like?
GAIQ is a 90-minute online test that you can take within a web browser. You will be able to pause and return to the test for up to five days before completing it. There are 70 questions including multiple choice and true or false. Marketers must achieve an 80% (56 correct answers) or higher score to pass.
The exam is considered open-book, so you can use study guides and resources to help answer questions. However, without working knowledge of Google Analytics or dedicated test preparation, even the most detailed cheat sheet or study guide will not help you to pass.
If you are considering taking GAIQ, or just want to improve your understanding of Google Analytics, then follow the tips and visit the resource links below:
1. Start with Google’s Curriculum
Google’s free curriculum covers everything on the test. The videos move really quickly, so push pause, take notes and apply what each video is teaching within a live Google Analytics account. According to a blog post on Moz.com, the curriculum videos take a little more than two hours to watch, but that does not account for time to take notes and practice.
2. Set Up Your Own Google Analytics Account
To really apply your training and master the platform, make sure you are using the newest version of Google Analytics. It is also helpful to have a Google Analytics account with at least a few months worth of data and features like advanced segments, goals and flow visualization enabled. If you are new to Google Analytics, this resource can help you to set up and begin using your account.
3. Dive into More Test Prep Resources
Here are three more helpful resources for in-depth test preparation:
- How to Pass the Google Analytics IQ Test in Two Days: Zero to Hero: This blogger walks you through a two-day test prep schedule with tips, links to resources and most importantly, a sense of humor!
- Google Analytics Certification and How to Pass the GAIQ Test: This Moz.com post features tips for getting the most value out of online resources like Google’s curriculum. It also covers information about the GAIQ test format and strategies for testing well.
- GAIQ Certification Prep Training: If you have the time and budget, Analytics Pros runs a series of Best Practices conferences each year. You can sign up for a one day GAIQ Test Prep course as part of a conference or just take the test prep course on its own. The organizers guarantee that their students will pass!
4. Download An Outline Or Visual Overview
Since GAIQ is an open-book exam, you will want to gather a few easy-to-scan, searchable resources. You can use overview documents as study guides and keep them open on your computer while testing. Here are a few overviews options to consider downloading:
- The Advanced Google Analytics Cheat Sheet: In exchange for sending out a promotional tweet or Facebook post, you can download this crisp visual guide.
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ) Exam Test Notes: Jens Sorensen put this together back in 2010 and it remains one of the most linked to and comprehensive resources for GAIQ test prep. Experts advise keeping this overview open during the test and using CTRL + F to find what you might need.
- Handy Google Analytics Reference Guide (80+ Tips, Definitions & Rules): This three-page PDF is a handy study guide and a great resource to have accessible while testing.
5. Take Practice Tests
Here are two places to find practice test questions. You may be able to discover more sample test questions embedded within recent blog posts about GAIQ test prep.
- Google Analytics Test: Don’t let the name fool you. This site is not affiliated with Google, but it offers a real testing environment with questions similar to those on GAIQ.
- How to Pass the Google Analytics IQ Test (GAIQ): This free study guide from Slingshot SEO features 10 test questions.
If we missed any critical resources for Google Analytics IQ test preparation, then please share those links in the comments below. Once you pass the test, your certification is active for 18 months. You can show proof of qualification by following the steps in this blog post. Happy studying and good luck!